Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Journey

Back in March, I began a journey to start improving my health. In the past I had tried every diet known to man...they worked for a short time, but no long term results were ever really experienced. I can't fully discredit those programs because I took bits and pieces from them when I started on my new path. Since March, I have lost 41 pounds. That's almost 7 pounds a month, which works out to be about 2 pounds a week. When I first started I didn't exercise at all. I focused primarily on healthy eating habits. I cut out processed foods for the most part, cut back on meat (we eat meat about 1-2 times per week), ate more vegis and fruit, drank more water, and ate smaller meals with snacks in between (usually fruit). Other than processed foods, I did not give anything up completely...just don't have it as often (except coffee..that's a must have around here! I'm sure you know exactly what I mean!) A book I read helped me understand food from a more scientific perspective (which was challenging to read at first, mainly because I hate Science! haha) But, I got through it and still refer back to it quite often. While the book is more about a vegan lifestyle (NO WAY, EVER could I be a vegan...I like meat!), it did teach me how certain foods can conflict with each other when digesting. (I was having some digestion issues as well, and are now gone without even going to a doctor-YEAH!) The book I read is called, The pH Miracle: Balance your Diet, Reclaim your health. My number one goal was to be healthy, and losing weight is just an added benefit. There is a family history of heart issues, diabetes etc, and I do not want that mess in my life. I owe it to myself, my husband, and my child to be healthy. Do you want to know something else?? I have NOT counted a single calorie since I started - YES, you read that correctly - NO CALORIE COUNTING! It always added stress before so this time I decided not to do it. I know what I'm eating throughout the day...I guess I kind of have a running list of foods from the day in my mind, and I make sure that I balance everything out. Also, I plan out my meals. I make a weekly dinner menu, which helps me plan what I'm having for lunch and dinner each day. If I am having carbs for dinner, I don't have them for breakfast or lunch. I would just eat some vegis, proteins, and some fruit in-between all of that. OR if I'm having mainly vegis for dinner, I add some carbs in the morning or for lunch. It's all about balance. Now as I said, I didn't give up anything. If I want some ice cream, I have some (I just make sure I ate really healthy that day and perhaps have a lighter dinner...) And that doesn't mean I get to eat the whole ice cream container - it's just enough to satisfy the good 'ole taste buds. I knew from past experiences, that the second I didn't allow myself something, the more I WANTED it! Go figure! So, I've trained myself to have whatever I want, just not as often and not as much. Get it? After I got the food part handled, I began the dreaded part-exercise (BLECK!) Now I can get bored rather easily, so I knew that I had to mix things up. I do a mix of pilates, cardio (elliptical or walking around my neighborhood), tennis from time to time, light weights, stretching etc. I have to mix it up or I won't stick with it. That's the other key - knowing yourself well enough to set yourself up for success. So, that's basically how I've done so well thus far. I have also had some amazing friends and family keep me going through their kind words and encouragement. And a huge thanks to Tanya, who sent me the book in the first place. I look forward to becoming more and more healthy and teaching others how I've done it. Good luck to whoever is reading this and beginning on your own journey. It CAN be done, and you CAN do it. Just start small. :) CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment